comments on pixels

to readers, guest photographers and co-authors, thanks for five exciting years of pixels !

A more updated relative to Stockholm by Pixels is here: stockholmbypixels.se

2009-03-15

mid-month theme: subway day

text & photo: Jennifer Hallqvist

Deep down in the underground below Rissne, 19 kilometers outside of Stockholm, there is a timeline showing the development and hardships of mankind from prehistoric times until modern days. On the wall, around the 14th century, it is written in black: The Great Plague havoc Europe.

This timeline is a part of the world´s longest art exhibition - an effort to make the journey in the Stockholm underground a more pleasant one. At least once a week there is a guided tour of the exhibition, all you need is a valid commuting-ticket and you're off.

My favourite station? Well that has to be Rissne with its timeline which I can follow as I walk down the platform waiting for the next train to bring me back into Stockholm town.

Rissne (map) 19 February 2009 | others bloggar

subway day is a mid-month theme shared by the following blogs:
Budapest - London - New York City - Paris - Stockholm

11 comments:

stromsjo said...

This is one spectacular station, Jennifer. Or at least it used to be. Before vandals and leaking water started taking their toll...

Happy subway day !

Ming the Merciless said...

What an interesting interpretation of the theme. The art work is quite spectacular. It is definitely original.

cieldequimper said...

That is a nice way to keep people happy in the tube but... the Black Plague? Oooh makes me shudder!

Jennifer said...

Since I have been working in Rissne for more years than I care to remember this station is kind of special to me. It always makes me interested in taking that guided art tour of the subway. So...Who's in? =)

PeterParis said...

So, I'm not the only one to have "guest stars"!!

A very nice way to illustrate the history!

Thanks Jennifer!

Lena Möre said...

Vilken vacker handstil och strålande ide`. Jag måste åka dit och titta!

Andrea Gerák said...

Hej Stockholmare, I hope you had a great Subway Day!

I haven't even heard about this station, living way down South...

But I should take a trip there, it looks nice! Which line is it?

stromsjo said...

Hej Andrea, this is on the way to Hjulsta - one of the blue lines.

I'm in, Jennifer. It's been a long time since I took a guided tour of our subway system.

Mo said...

Sounds exciting. I'd love to do the tour of your subway

humanobserver said...

Great effort :) I love such kind of initiative.

Kiwi said...

I also like the Rissne metro station with its fantastic decoration. Sometimes it almost makes you want to miss your train. I think this photo is very special with it's focus on "The Great Plague havoc Europe" and the skull.

I'm in for the guided tour!

Your daily dose of Stockholm, Sweden - click on pictures to enlarge!