comments on pixels

to readers, guest photographers and co-authors, thanks for five exciting years of pixels !

A more updated relative to Stockholm by Pixels is here: stockholmbypixels.se

2007-07-09

pocket of resistance

Cafe Sturekatten is located in an 18th century house on Riddargatan, a small street off Stureplan. On the photo we see one of the coffee tables where you help yourself with a cup. This is a serious pocket of resistance even though you can get a
cafe latte if you insist.

In 1941 Anna Skoog moved into the house and arranged a bakery in the cellar. She already had a cafe on the opposite side of the street and eventually moved that to the "bakery house". With its many rooms and rococo furniture the place is made for “fika”, that is long coffee drinking sittings with a friend or two.

The name Sturekatten comes from Sture as in the location and katten (the cat) as in the Swedish expression "only the cat knows" when you really don’t know. Anna and her former companion really had no idea of what to call their cafes.

.

16 comments:

stromsjo said...

Lots of tradition here. I’m glad we finally entered this classic cafe. All we had before was that outdoor shot from October. Interesting explanation, I didn’t have a clue about where that name came from. While in school I had many of these in this very café... Yummy.

b.c. said...

thanks for the interesting explanation. I liked the photo too. it's always nice to know the expressions people use to say "I don't know".

Coltrane_lives said...

Great narrative, Per! Sounds like you started hitting the java juice when you were a youngster. It's become popular among the younger teens in the States... much more so than when I was in high school.

stromsjo said...

It’s not my narrative, Coltrane_lives. I’d love to take credit but Peter wrote it really. There are four of us behind pixels and to keep you all ever confused we take turns at snapping photos and writing... ;)

Kiwi said...

It's OK by me. Why don't we all call ourselves Per? Maybe the world would be a better one ;o)

The companions’ cafes name is (it's still around) Vetekatten which is a little word game: "vetekatten" as in a wheat or white bread and "vete katten" as in only the cat knows.

stromsjo said...

;) Refreshing but slightly impractical, I suppose. Incidentally, the concept has been explored by Monty Python.

Bergson said...

Beautiful explanation!! the cups are impressive!!
But I would not have coffee this evening I will lie down

Coltrane_lives said...

Per...Peter...Jimi Hendrix...you're all superb-fluous. Keep these great narratives and photos coming. I'm still trying to shake "spam-scrapers" from my noggin. Spam...spam,spam,spam, spam! Nudge, nudge...know what I mean?

Anonymous said...

Very interesting post. The photo is nice too. The narrative is compelling.

Abraham Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo

blueboat said...

looks like a great cafe - I love the classic cafes in scandinavia and northern europe - I really wish we had this tradition in Ireland!

Kiwi said...

Blueboat: I have said it before and I say it again: It's a wonderful world we live in. When you long for the Scandinavian cafes we long for the Irish pubs.

stromsjo said...

So why not all meet in Copenhagen and go to McDonald’s, right? ;)

Kiwi said...

Per: There's no need for that, Per! Yes, let's meet in Copenhagen, but if so, then for smørrebrød and beer.

Z said...

I'd been keeping an eye out for this post after the one with the espresso machine. This looks like a nice place to hang out for a while, especially in the winter. My, those cups are generous!

Pia K said...

One of my favourite cafés, ever since high school:)

I'm glad to see they have apparently returned to using their old style coffee/teacups - for a while there, they had the distastefulness of having IKEA-mugs... Really, what were they thinking of...

Bernt Seipl said...

I like this one. I myself like to take that kind of pictures, mostly during weddings ;-)

Your daily dose of Stockholm, Sweden - click on pictures to enlarge!