comments on pixels

to readers, guest photographers and co-authors, thanks for five exciting years of pixels !

A more updated relative to Stockholm by Pixels is here: stockholmbypixels.se

2009-05-15

mid-month theme: subway day

text & photo: Jennifer Hallqvist

Root map and underground art.

My favourite graphical designer, Lotta Külhorn, shows some of her famous patterns in the subway at Zinkensdamm station. The pattern on this specific one is a radish which is very common in Sweden and known by the name rädisa (of the beet root family). I love the pattern and the colours but most of all Ms Külhorn's pun when she named the pattern root map (rotkatalog).

Want to see a close-up?

Zinkensdamm (map) 21 April 2009

subway day is a mid-month theme shared by the following blogs:
Budapest - London - New York City - Paris - Stockholm - Sydney

9 comments:

VP said...

Very good pattern, funny and appropriate name.

Julie said...

Yes, the name is a delightful pun!

The pattern and colours are quite delightful. I wonder, though, if they are overlooked and maybe wasted in a subway station.

Tinsie said...

That's interesting - I love art in the underground. Didn't know about the radish theme, thanks fot sharing!

PeterParis said...

In Paris, I believe we prefer to keep the original 1900 style, but for a modern metro, like the one in Stockholm, this is nice! Always nice to give space for artists!

Mo said...

looks like radishes.

Halcyon said...

When I first looked at it - the picture reminded me of a design for playing cards. But now I see the radishes quite clearly!

Andrea Gerák said...

Hejsan, this lloks cheerful, I haven't seen this station yet.

Ming the Merciless said...

Happy Subway Day.

Sorry I didn't visit earlier. I have been sick with the flu; no, not swine flu but just as bad. Eck!

Unknown said...

@Julie: I think you are right about this being stowed away in the subway. I think that the placement guards it from graffiti.=)

@Peter: I just love the Parisian Metro, it is super beautiful as it is =)

Your daily dose of Stockholm, Sweden - click on pictures to enlarge!