comments on pixels

to readers, guest photographers and co-authors, thanks for five exciting years of pixels !

A more updated relative to Stockholm by Pixels is here: stockholmbypixels.se

2009-06-09

anyone for boule

Wikipedia: Boules is a game where the goal is, while standing with the feet together in a small circle, to throw hollow metal balls as close as possible to a small wooden ball called a cochonnet (jack).

In Södertälje this beautiful sign invites you to play a game.

Södertälje (map) 2 May 2009

6 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

Never played the game but on a visit to Paris many years ago I watched a few games. Looks like a relaxed activity.

VP said...

In Italian the name is 'boccie', now less popular than few decades ago but still played.

cieldequimper said...

There are boulistes in Versailles every day, when it isn't pouring with rain! I have made a mental note to stop! I wish it were sunny so that I can do it!

Halcyon said...

In English we often call this game bocce ball. In French the formal name is petanque, but many people do call it boules (the word for balls).

I used to love playing with my family on the beaches of Brittany.

stromsjo said...

This appears to be such a sophisticated activity. Quite unlike some other sports rich in noise, sweat, mayhem and general demolition in the city.

Kiwi said...

A photo from a game is in the pipeline.

@Per: I wouldn't use the word "sophisticated". I would say "civilized".

@Vogon Poet & Halcyon: If someone says "boccia" (which kind of sounds like yours) to me I think of water filled balls and a game played on the beach or grass and no cochonnet.

Your daily dose of Stockholm, Sweden - click on pictures to enlarge!